Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Govt never fails to surprise me!

During the 1980s when Male was literally besieged by the sudden influx of 'raajethereymeehun' arriving in search of better lives and perceived wealth, my government came up with kudasitee (a kind of a visa regime); Port commission and reclamation of Male; decentralization; Selected Islands Development Programme and later on with Vilingili and Hulhumale development.

When our economy appeared to be in dire straits my government shocked international donor agencies (and of course me..) with a budget that’s exactly the same as our GDP; the expansion of tourism to all the atolls, MTDC, AIM; development of airports all over the archipelago; a transshipment port valued at a third of our GDP; Gulhifalhu project and a whole lot of other projects.

When the country was beset by calls for reform both from domestic and international sources in the aftermath of the murder of Evan Naseem, my govt completely bewildered me with MDP, DRP, IDP, Adaalath; furathama badalu, Police Integrity Commission, Human Rights Commission, reform agenda, Roadmap, all party talks and a whole lot of other difficult-to-understand vocabulary, phrases and institutions.

Just last week while the country is on the path of an economic meltdown (I believe another devaluation of Rf is inevitable within a year if fiscal discipline is not brought in - with record high oil prices reigning in inflation in another major challenge) my govt utterly baffled me with the announcement of an unprecedented raise in salaries of over 36,000 govt employees and free text books and fees for students!

2 comments:

Kambalhi said...

the total govt budget this year was 12billion rf. of that 12billion about 2 billion went to musaara and muwazzifun other benefits. about 3 billion went to office hingun.
the rest of the budget went to building offices.

36,000 employees


that's 1 public servant to less than 10 people.

what baffles me is why the people of this country are allowing this atrocity to continue.

moyameehaa said...

yeah..they do surprise us.another such thing was the tsunami binaa.and what about the new government spokesman being a foreigner?

and the maldivian people surprise me even more.hopeless we are.