Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My civil servant colleague was a 2nd World War POW

I'm really serious about this - my colleague was a 2nd World War POW and he is still 'serving' the Government of Maldives. He must be nearing his third pension now.

I wonder if there is any country out there in the world that gives two or three pensions to civil servants. The other day I happened to be going through a report prepared by World Bank on pension reform in the Maldives. Im i'm not mistaken I think they suggest that mandatory retirement be introduced at age 65 in our small country's civil service. I wonder what would happen to all those fossilized 'wafaatheri and ikhlaas thri' civil servants, including my collegue the 2nd World War POW if Gayoom decides to do as the World Bank team says.

3 comments:

Adam Moses said...

you may want to find out what rewards are there for pensioners. My grandmother has 2 pensions, back pains, piles,heart condition, diabetes and she is looking forward to computing her third pension in 10 years time. That she thinks this may allow her to retire in some small comfort.
And how Gayooms family and friends exploit job appointmenst and the pension money to enrich themselves. This is a big rip off.

Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

I guess Gayoom will never listen to international (donor) agencies because he and his elderly cronies would then have to remove themselves from power! See how he had his nephew Shaheen Hameed remove that certain item from the Majlis agenda which called for the removal of his MPs. I guess no MP will want to discuss anything related to removing themselves out of office.

moyameehaa said...

workers rights...ever heard of this in maldives?? no... no one is talking about it...Golhaaboa,MDP,Adaalat,IDP,reeko party,..all the fucking paarties and capitalist elites...'AMAA HANDHAAN KURANEETHA?'